Dr. McGivney is an Associate Professor at the University of Pittsburgh School of Pharmacy and Director of the Community Pharmacy Residency Program. Dr. McGivney's focus is on the development of pharmacist patient care practices in the community. Since 2004, she has worked with pharmacists in the community to establish practices while creating and conducting training programs for practicing pharmacists, and advocating for the pharmacists’ role in patient care.
Dr. McGivney’s creation of pharmacist-patient care practices in the community follows her into the classroom where she introduces first year pharmacy students to the pharmaceutical care process. She is the course coordinator for the second professional year experiential learning course introducing students to skills necessary to build patient care practices in the community. She established the Community Pharmacy Residency Program in 2006 which has graduated thirteen residents as of July, 2012. The Residency Program fostered the community research program at the School which has been successful at obtaining grant and foundation funding and has led to peer-reviewed publications.
Dr. McGivney is a graduate of the University of Pittsburgh School of Pharmacy where she completed a residency in Ambulatory Care. She has previously served on the faculty of Wilkes University/Nesbitt School of Pharmacy and the UPMC St. Margaret Family Practice Program. Dr. McGivney has been recognized by her students as Preceptor of the Year and by her peers as a Distinguished Young Pharmacist in Pennsylvania in 2006, by American Pharmacists Association with the APhA-APPM Merit Award in 2007, by the National Association of Chain Drug Stores (NACDS) as Community Faculty Member of the Year i 2011, PPA as Pharmacist of the Year in 2011, and by the American Pharmacists Association with the Community Residency Preceptor Award and Weiderholt Prize in 2012. She is a Fellow of the American College of Clinical Pharmacy (ACCP) and is an active member of the Pennsylvania Pharmacists Association, the American Pharmacists Association (APhA), and the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP).
1. Rickles NM, Brown TA, McGivney MS, Snyder ME, White KA. Adherence: a review of education, research, practice, and policy in the United States. Pharmacy Practice (Internet) 2010 Jan-Mar;8(1):1-17.
2. Snyder ME^, Meyer SM, Somma McGivney M, Smith RB. A Pilot Study: The Design and Preliminary Evaluation of Web-based Materials to Teach Pharmacist-Physician Collaboration During Community-based Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experiences. International J Pharm Ed & Prac. 2010:6(1):
3. Harriman McGrath S*, Snyder M*, Garcia G*, Pringle JL, Smith RB, Somma McGivney M. Physician Perceptions of Pharmacist-Provided Medication Therapy Management (MTM): A Qualitative Analysis. J Am Pharm Assoc 2010;50:67-71.
4. Garcia G*, Snyder M^, Harriman S*, Smith RB, Somma McGivney M. Generating Demand for Pharmacist-Provided Medication Therapy Management: Identifying Patient Preferred Marketing Strategies. J Am Pharm Assoc 2009;49:611-616.
5. Somma McGivney, M. Building an Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experience (APPE) Site for Doctor of Pharmacy Students. Curr Pharm Teaching & Learning. 2009;1:25-32.
6. Somma McGivney, M, Meyer S, Duncan-Hewitt, W, Hall, DL, Goode JR, Smith, RB. Medication therapy management: Its relationship to patient counseling, disease management, and pharmaceutical care. J Am Pharm Assoc 2007;47:620-628.
7. Somma, MA. STEPS – Ethinyl Estradiol/Drospirenone (Yasmin): A Newer Oral Contraceptive. American Family Physician 2004;69(10):2425-6.
PEER-REVIEWED WHITE PAPERS/COMMENTARIES
1. Blair MM, Freitag RT, Keller DL, Kiser TH, Marrs JC, Somma McGivney MA, Mohammad RA, Twedt EL. ACCP White Paper: Proposed revision to the existing specialty and specialist certification framework for pharmacy practitioners. Pre-publication draft: http://www.accp.com/docs/positions/whitePapers/CertifAffrsWPFinal11-08.pdf November, 2008.
2. Harris, IM, Baker, EK, Berry, TM, Halloran, MA, Hughes, DB, Lindauer, K, Ragucci, KR, Somma McGivney, M, Taylor, T, Haines, ST. ACCP White Paper: "Business-Practice Model for Clinical Ambulatory Practice Outline." Pharmacotherapy 2008;28(2): 7e-34e.
3. Culhane NS, Brooks A, Cohen V, Couchenour R, Ferreri S, Garrett A, Jackson E, Marciniak MW, Roller L, Ross LA, Roth M, Somma MA, Young EW. “Medication Therapy Management Services: Application of the Core Elements in Ambulatory Settings.” ACCP Commentary http://www.accp.com/position/pos_AmCare.pdf May, 2007.
1. Snyder ME, Somma McGivney MA, Smith RB. A Model for Preparing Community Practice Pharmacy Faculty: Establishment of a Community Practice Research Fellowship American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education. Am J Pharm Educ 2009;73(7): Article 126.
2. Somma, MA, Meyer S. Evidence of a “Community of Learning” in Experiential Education. Am J Pharm Educ 2007;71(1): Article 19.
3. Chandel, R***, Somma, MA. Reducing unnecessary use of antibiotics through community education [Letter]. Am J Health Syst Pharm 2002:59(24):2454-2455.
INVITED BOOK CHAPTERS
1. Snyder M*, Somma, MA. Irritable Bowel Community-Orientated Case. In: Pharmacotherapy Principles for the Community. 1st ed. New York:McGraw Hill; 2008.
2. Culhane, NS, Somma, MA. Hormone Replacement Therapy. In: Pharmacotherapy Principles. 1st ed. New York:McGraw Hill; 2007:765-777.
3. Ansani, NT., Somma, MA. Pharmacotherapy In: Current Diagnosis & Treatment in Family Medicine. 2nd ed. New York:McGraw-Hill; 2007: Chapter 46.
4. Harris, IM, Baker, EK, Berry, TM, Halloran, MA, Hughes, DB, Lindauer, K, Ragucci, KR, Somma, MA, Taylor, T, Haines, ST. "Business-Practice Model for Clinical Ambulatory Practice Outline." In: Schumock GT, How to Develop a Business Plan for Clinical Pharmacy Services: A Guide for Managers and Clinicians. CD-ROM. Kansas City: American College of Clinical Pharmacy, 2001; revised edition 2006.
5. Somma, MA, Ference, JD*. “The Change” – Hormone Replacement Therapy Case In: Pharmacotherapy Casebook: A patient-focused approach. 6th ed. New York:McGraw-Hill; 2004:
6. Somma, MA. Ansani, NT. Pharmacotherapy In: Current Diagnosis & Treatment in Family Medicine. 1st ed. New York:McGraw-Hill; 2004:544-560.
7. Somma, MA. “The Change” – Hormone Replacement Therapy Case In: Pharmacotherapy Casebook: A patient-focused approach. 5th ed. New York:McGraw-Hill; 2002:236-238.