Office: 252 Salk Hall
Stanton Jonas was appointed Curator, Elmer H. Grimm, Sr., Pharmacy Museum at the University of Pittsburgh School of Pharmacy in July, 2005, by Dean Patricia D. Kroboth.
A 1951 graduate of the University of Pittsburgh, School of Pharmacy, he was tapped for Rho Chi in his junior year. He also had enlisted in the U.S. Air Force as a Corporal during the Korean War, pending graduation and Pennsylvania State Boards. Following basic training and while assigned in Washington State, he was promoted to Sergeant. Transferred to Japan, he was assigned Chief Pharmacist of the 135th Air Base Squadron, where he served for two years, and made Staff Sergeant. He was honorably discharged in July 1954.
He joined Thrift Drug Company, managing their Johnstown store. Following Thrift, he managed Penn-Wood Pharmacy and the Carlton Pharmacy.
Selected by the Allegheny County Health Department in 1965 to start their pharmacy, he obtained a Pennsylvania pharmacy license and initiated mailing penicillin to their Rheumatic Fever Registry patients and pre-packaging Tuberculosis Clinic medications. In 1967, he was the Pharmacist Coordinator for the 60 site countywide mass Measles program. He again held that position in 1970 for the 130 site mass Rubella program. It was the largest single day, immunization by injection, program in the United States.
He received the Master of Public Health Degree in Epidemiology from the University of Pittsburgh in 1972. His Masters Thesis was “Retail Pharmacies and Pharmacists in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania: An Untapped Health Resource”, which placed a self-designed health literature rack in 500 pharmacies in Allegheny County. The Health Department underwrote the construction of the wire racks.
He was promoted to Public Health Administrator (PHA) 1, as the District Health Officer of the Department's Northeast District, headquartered at the Arsenal Health Center complex in Lawrenceville. He became responsible for the Public Health needs of one-fifth of Allegheny County residents. Services included Nursing, Child Health Clinics, and Environmental Health activities. Responsibility was also for the seven building complex and administratively for the Pharmacy. In fourteen years there, he was promoted to PHA 2 and then PHA 3.
In 1986, he was transferred to the Southwest District with instructions to relocate the Carnegie office. A Greentree Borough location was selected and Mr. Jonas designed that office layout, having previously designed the Central District's new Wilkinsburg office.
He retired from the Health Department in 1990, but became their casual pharmacist and as a volunteer consultant, set up the Sentinel Pharmacy Alert System for PA Region 13. He fully retired in 2007.
He was elected President of the Allegheny County Pharmacists Association in 1983, and remains on their Board of Directors. As Chairman of their Poison Prevention Committee since 1972, he initiated Poison Prevention MONTH, sending literature kits to pharmacies throughout Allegheny County. He remains on the Board of the Allegheny County SafeKids Coalition, having resigned from the RX Council of Western PA Board in 2007, after 12 years.