Chairman John R. Thompson of the Board of Directors reported that an interview had been held with Chancellor John G. Bowman at which Mr. Robert R. Gaw and Acting Dean Edward C. Reif were present to determine whetherthe University would be interested in the College becoming an integral part of the University. During the interview, Chancellor Bowman said 'that he thought the University would be interested." The Board of Directors instructed the commit-tee to continue their negotiations. When Dr. Rufus H. Fitzgerald was elected Chancellor of the University, negotiations regarding a merger were resumed. Dean Reif reported that the committee had had a meeting with Chancellor Fitzgerald and that the Chancellor appointed a committee, consisting of Dr. John Weber, secretary of the Board of Trustees of the University, and Mr. G. Stanley Rupp, bursar, to work out a plan of merger. A plan was submitted to the members of the Corporation at a special meeting held on May 6, 1947, at which a majority of the members of the Corporation were present. Upon motion made, duly seconded and carried, the members then approved in principle the merger of the College of Pharmacy with the University of Pittsburgh and agreed to take final action on a plan of merger at their next stated meeting, which would be held on June 9, 1947.
At the regular meeting of the Corporation, held on June 9, 1947, at which a majority of the members were present, the plan of merger in its final form was presented by Dean Reif. Chairman Thompson then called upon Mr. Robert R. Gaw to present a resolution approving the plan of merger as read by the Dean. Mr. Gaw presented the following:
Proposed Resolutions Approving Plan of Merger Between the Pittsburgh College of Pharmacy and the University of Pittsburgh
On motion duly made and seconded, the following resolutions were adopted by an affirmative vote of more than a majority of the members of the College Corporation:
RESOLVED, that the plan of merger between The Pittsburgh College of Pharmacy and the University of Pittsburgh presented to the members of the College on June 9, 1947, is approved, and that the proper officers of the College are authorized to sign and acknowledge the plan on behalf of the College and certify its members' approval thereof: and
RESOLVED FURTHER, that upon the appropriate approval of the plan of merger by The University of Pittsburgh, the proper officers of the College are authorized and directed to make and execute jointly with the proper officers of the University of Pittsburgh, Articles of Merger for the two schools, pursuant to the appropriate act of assembly and to cause the same to be presented to the Court of Common Pleas of Allegheny County for approval, and are further authorized and directed to do any and all things required by law or deemed by them to be expedient to per. form and carry Out the Plan of Merger or to accomplish the merger and integration of the two institutions.
Mr. Gaw moved the adoption of the resolution. The motion was seconded by Mr. Edward C. Nied. The Chair then called for discussion. Mr. Gaw announced that the resolution and plan would be presented to the University Board of Trustees on Tuesday, June 10, 1947.
The plan of merger was subsequently approved by the Board of Trustees and the following formal announcement was made by the Board of Trustees of the University of Pittsburgh:
The Board of Trustees of the University of Pittsburgh is pleased to announce that through a merger effective January 26, 1948 The Pittsburgh College of Pharmacy for many years an affiliate school is now The University of Pittsburgh School of Pharmacy
Previous to 1947 students had the idea that a student publication was desirable but because they did not have the money and, perhaps, real hard workers the idea never crystallized. However, in June 1947, a group of students decided it could be done. A committee of the class made their plans known to Dean Edward C. Reif, seeking guidance and assistance. Subsequently, volume 1, number 1 of the "Pitt Capsule" appeared. Mr. David A. Westover was Editor and Mr. William Blockstein was Associate Editor, and the following students constituted the staff:
Eugene H. Davis, Patricia Gannon, Jean L. Giammatteo, John L. Harrington, Gloria Holmquist, Edward Hudak, George Little, Harold E. Malion, Clifford H. McPherson, Robert J. Montgomery, Robert J. Palchak, William E. Roberts, Mary Louise Shilen, Frances Shirley, Jeanne R. Smaldone, Edward Tillman, Lloyd M. Whitman.
This publication has been so favorably accepted that it now receives annual financial support from the administration. It has been published continuously since 1947, and on occasion has received favorable commendation at the national level.
In order that the students in the School of Pharmacy could have the opportunity to hold class, fraternity and American Pharmaceutical Association student branch meetings at stated times, an activities period was inaugurated as a part of their schedule. One hour each week is scheduled for this purpose and has proved very profitable. The American Pharmaceutical Association student branch, in addition to holding their regular business meetings, also arrange programs at which outstanding speakers from other fields are invited to appear and address the student body.
Because of the increased need for proper information to be available for applicants and to avoid misunderstandings as to the method to be followed in making application for admission, a detailed "Sheet of Instruction" was prepared by the faculty and registrar. This in turn was recommended to the Board of Directors for adoption and was approved by that body.
On January 20, 1948, Dr. Joseph A. Bianculli returned to The Pittsburgh College of Pharmacy as Assistant Professor of Pharmaceutical Chemistry.
In February 1948 the preliminary steps were taken to establish a chapter of Rho Chi Honorary Pharmaceutical Society at the School. The Alpha Omicron Chapter of this society was installed on November 21, 1950.
Early in May 1948, the parent body of the American Pharmaceutical Association held a ceremony in Washington, D. C., on the lawn of the American Institute of Pharmacy, at which a flagstaff was dedicated to the "Memory of All Pharmacists" who had served in the wars of our country. It serves as a constant reminder of Pharmacy's contribution to the armed conflicts in which our country took part. The School of Pharmacy was represented by Dean Edward C. Reif, and Dr. George D. Beal.
The 1946 Convention of the American Pharmaceutical Association and the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy in Pittsburgh furnished the impetus for greater participation on the part of the faculty at the conventions held at Milwaukee in 1947. The next year, preliminary to going to San Francisco, Dr. Edward P. Claus and Dean Edward C. Reif attended the Plant Science Seminar, which was held at Seattle, Washington. At San Francisco they were joined by Dr. Stephen Wilson. The conventions in 1949 were held in Jacksonville, Florida, while school was still in session. Drs. Edward C. Reif, Stephen Wilson and Edward P. Claus, however, managed to attend those sessions in which they were participants.
In 1950 the American Pharmaceutical Association and the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy held their meetings in May at Atlantic City, prior to the Pharmacopoeial Convention, which convened in Washington, D. C. Dean Edward C. Reif and Drs. Stephen Wilson, Edward P. Claus, and Robert W. Sager attended the convention of the American Pharmaceutical Association and the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy that year. The delegates to the Pharmacopoeial Convention were Drs. Julius A. Koch, John H. Wurdack and Dean Edward C. Reif. Dr. Joseph A. Bianculli also attended this convention. Dr. Koch was recognized as the delegate who had attended six pharmacopoeial conventions, and also as the oldest living president of the American Pharmaceutical Association.
In 1951, the meetings were held in Buffalo, N. Y., with the following in attendance: Dean Edward C. Reif, Drs. Stephen Wilson, Edward P. Claus, and Mr. George B. Hook and Mr. Joseph D. McEvilla.
On the occasion of the centennial meeting of the American Pharmaceutical Association held in Philadelphia, Pa., in August, 1952, Drs. John H. Wurdack, Stephen Wilson, Edward P. Claus, Joseph A. Bianculli, Messrs. George B. Hook, Joseph D. McEvilla, James C. Newcomb, and Dean Edward C. Reif attended. At this meeting the faculty members were given the opportunity of presenting the sound slide recording of "Pharmacy at Pitt," on numerous occasions. The response was very favorable. At the convocation Dean Reif was delegated by the Association of American Colleges as their representative to present a scroll.
At the meeting of the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy which was held during the same week, Dean Edward C. Reif was installed as President-Elect of this Association.
A Thanksgiving open house was held by the University on November 28, 1948, in the Cathedral of Learning. The staff and administration, alumni, and students of all schools of the University and members of the Board of Trustees assisted in showing the visitors the nationality rooms and the many other points of interest. Tea was served in the Commons Room.
Dr. George D. Beal, 1906, Professorial Lecturer in Pharmaceutical Chemistry, was elected President of the Council of the American Pharmaceutical Association in 1948.
Mu Chapter, Alpha Zeta Omega Fraternity, again made a fine gesture by establishing as an award a copy of Remington's "Practice of Pharmacy" to the student, male or female, who has attained the highest scholastic achievement in all courses covered in the freshman and sophomore years. This award has since been changed to a copy of the United States Dispensatory.
The Pharmaceutical Survey was organized in 1946 by the American Council on Pharmaceutical Education. The American Council on Education conducted the survey with Dr. Edward C. Elliott as director. The funds were supplied by the American Foundation on Pharmaceutical Education. The survey was completed in 1949. Upon publication of the "Findings and Recommendations" by the Council, the faculty of The College of Pharmacy undertook a thorough study of this report, relative to the pharmacy curriculum. This resulted in a revision of the curriculum to conform as nearly as possible to the recommendations.
One of the changes in curriculum was the establishment of alternate electives at the beginning of the Junior Year. This enables any student who desires to continue study at the graduate level to elect a certain course or courses in undergraduate work which will better prepare him for graduate study. The electives, however, must constitute a definite course sequence and be approved by the Dean and a major advisor of the departments concerned. This plan has since been modified.
One direct result of the Pharmaceutical Survey was the establishment of Seminars in the five areas of the pharmacy curriculum, to promote better teaching. These seminars, national in scope, are held under the auspices of the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy and sponsored by the American Foundation on Pharmaceutical Education. The first Seminar was held in Pharmacy at the University of Wisconsin in June 1949. In June 1950, a Seminar on Pharmacy Administration was held at Ohio State University. Dr. Stephen Wilson was the representative of the College at both these Seminars. In 1951 Dean Edward C. Reif represented The College of Pharmacy at the Seminar in Pharmacology held at Purdue University. The Seminar in Pharmaceutical Chemistry, attended by Drs. John H. Wurdack and Joseph A. Bianculli, was held at the University of Michigan in 1952. The fifth Seminar was held at the University of Utah in August 1953. It was devoted to Pharmacognosy and Dr. Edward P. Claus and Dean Reif represented the School. These seminars are still being held yearly.
Dr. Stephen Wilson was made a member of the important curriculum committee of the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy, which held its first meeting on January 21 and 22, 1949, at Chicago. He was subsequently made the chairman of this committee. Dr. Wilson called a meeting of the committee to meet at the University of Pittsburgh in May 1952. A meeting of this committee was also held in Pittsburgh in May 1953.
A committee of the faculty of The College of Pharmacy held several conferences with Dean Herbert E. Longenecker, of the Graduate School of the University of Pittsburgh, and the Graduate Council relative to the establishment of a program leading to the Master of Science degree in several areas of pharmacy. Courses of instruction at the graduate level in Pharmacy, Pharmacognosy, and Pharmacy Administration were approved and instituted with the fall semester of the 1950-51 session. Seven students enrolled for these courses. A program of work at this level was given during the summer of 1951 and 1952. The first Master of Science degrees, six in number, were granted at the February, June, and August 1952 commencements. In February 1952 the Graduate Council approved the plan of work leading to the degree of Doctor of Philosophy (PH.D.) with Pharmacy Administration as a major. In February 1953 the course leading to the Master of Science degree with a major in Pharmacology and the Doctor of Philosophy (PH.D.) degree in Pharmacy with a major in Pharmacy were approved.
About five years later, June 1958, the Doctor of Philosophy (PH.D.) degree with a major in Pharmacology was approved.
Due to the shortage of teaching personnel in Pharmacy Schools emphasis in the graduate program was placed upon the teacher training aspects.
Twenty-two students have since completed work at the graduate level and received the M. S. degree -- six in Pharmacy Administration, seven in Pharmacy, two in Pharmacognosy and seven in Pharmacology. And in June 1955 two of the above received the Ph.D. degrees in Pharmacy Administration. At present twelve of these individuals are actively engaged in teaching in the field of pharmacy.
At the beginning of the fall semester of the 1949-50 session, Dr. Robert W. Sager was appointed Assistant Professor of Pharmacy. Dr. Sager came to us from the University of Washington, located at Seattle. In 1952, he was promoted to Associate Professor of Pharmacy.
Dr. Stephen Wilson was appointed Vice-Dean of the School of Pharmacy on December 12, 1949. Mu Chapter of Alpha Zeta Omega Fraternity honored Dr. Wilson with a testimonial dinner in recognition of his appointment as Vice-Dean. At a faculty meeting held on November 15, 1949, Dr. Edward P. Claus, chairman of the committee on Student-Faculty relations, presented a resolution that a Student Council be instituted. This was approved and the committee was charged with working out the details. A constitution was presented, which was approved, and the student council was placed on a probationary basis for one year. The student council subsequently became a recognized student organization. It has been in operation since then and has resulted in the amicable solution of many student problems.
On December 7, 1949, William Blockstein (1950), a student of the senior class, was initiated into the Gamma Circle of Omicron Delta Kappa Society. He thus became the first student in the School of Pharmacy to be recognized with this honor. Raymond E. Dessy, a senior student of the class of 1953, has likewise been honored.
Other students upon whom this membership was conferred are: Marvin Levick (1955), Nathan Watzman (1955), Robert P. Halliday (1957), and James Pruckner (1958). The late Dean Emeritus C. Leonard O'Connell (1912), Dean Emeritus Edward C. Reif (1906), Dean Stephen Wilson (1925) (Wayne University), Mr. Robert R. Gaw (1914), Dean Edward P. Claus (1929), (Ferris Institute), and Acting Dean Joseph A. Bianculli (1935), also are members of this Society. Omicron Delta Kappa is an honorary society which recognizes conspicuous attainments and service in collegiate activities.
A telephone system was established in the pharmacy laboratory as part of the course in dispensing pharmacy. This innovation began December 1949, and enables the student to receive prescriptions over the telephone to better acquaint him with a practice which is extensively used in pharmacies.
The School of Pharmacy was re-examined for continued accreditation by the American Council of Pharmaceutical Education in October 1949. The committee which conducted the examination consisted of Dr. Edward C. Elliott, Director of the Survey, Dr. Richard Deno, Director of Educational Relations of the Council, and Mr. Edward Ifft (1926), of the Pennsylvania State Board of Pharmacy. The School was subsequently approved for continued accreditation on February 1951 and was given a rating as a Class A School.
On November 7, 1949, Mu Chapter of Alpha Zeta Omega Fraternity presented the library with two books inscribed as a memorial to Nathan Meyers (1931).
Beta Kappa Chapter of Kappa Psi Fraternity gave $200 to the School of Pharmacy to establish a memorial award, in memory of Alvin J. Vavro (1948). It consists of an award of $25 to a sophomore student who meets the qualifications as designated by the fraternity.
In the summer of 1950 a four-week Seminar was held at Johnstown, Pennsylvania, at the request of the Cambria-Somerset Pharmaceutical Association. Drs. John H. Wurdack, Edward P. Claus, Joseph A. Bianculli, and Robert W. Sager conducted the Seminar which was well attended.
Beginning in September 1948 all foundational and cultural courses in the pharmacy curriculum are being given on the main campus. In order that these students could more readily consult with the Dean, an office was provided for him in September 1950 in Room 2501 of the Cathedral of Learning. This proved to be a very satisfactory arrangement. The dean's office now is in the Health Professions Building.
Open House for the alumni and friends of the School, held on the evening of February 21, 1951, was featured by a lecture on blood typing, stressing the Rh factor. The lecture was given by Dr. John W. Henthorne, who was then Pathologist and Medical Director of St. John's General Hospital. He also gave interesting demonstrations by typing a number of those present. All apparatus in the newly equipped research laboratory was demonstrated. Following the program refreshments were served.
In October 1951, a yearly scholarship in the amount of $50 was given by Theodore W. Primas (1948). The scholarship was given to a deserving student of the School of Pharmacy.
A scholarship was given by Hyland E. Gefsky (I924), in memory of Samuel E. Levy in the amount of $50, to a deserving student of the School of Pharmacy selected by a committee of the faculty.
Merck & Co., Inc., too, established an award. It is made annually to two honor students of the graduating class. The award consists of one copy each of "The Merck Index," "The Merck Manual," and Rosin's "Reagent Chemicals and Standards."
To meet the ever rising cost of education it was found necessary to increase tuition rates to $420 per year, which was put into effect with the fall semester of the 1951-52 session.
In the fall of 1951, Dean Edward C. Reif was invited by Lucien A. Gregg, M.D., Professor of Medicine and Head of the Department, with the approval of William S. McEllroy, M.D., Dean of the School of Medicine, to assist Wendell B. Gordon, M.D., Assistant Professor of Medicine, to teach a section of course material in Therapeutics. A program of lectures was outlined, in which Drs. Robert W. Sager and Edward P. Claus also took part. In September 1952, Dean Reif was appointed a lecturer in Therapeutics on the Medical faculty. During this year Drs. Edward P. Claus, Robert W. Sager, and Joseph P. Buckley also participated in this program.
From time to time the administration of the School of Pharmacy had made efforts to explain to the graduates of the two and three-year courses the course content of the four-year curriculum. An original idea in the nature of a Kodachrome slide film recording was presented by Dr. Robert W. Sager. This was successfully completed under his direction and with the assistance of the members of the staff. The script was written by Dr. Joseph A. Bianculli and narrated by Dr. Sager, the photography was the work of Mr. Paul J. Wurdack and the artistic touch was added by Mrs. Joan Newcomb, wife of James C. Newcomb.
This was first shown to the alumni at the Open House held February 28, 1952, at the college. "Pharmacy at Pitt" received such an ovation that it was shown at a Chancellor's meeting of the Deans and also at the annual dinner meeting of the Board of Trustees and the administrative officers of the University of Pittsburgh. It has since been shown to service clubs, Parent-Teacher's Associations, high schools, and professional groups.
A student loan fund in memory of Emanuel Spector was established by the late Mr. Fred Schiller of the Class of 1902, to assist deserving junior and senior students of the School of Pharmacy. Mr. Schiller was a member of the College Corporation and also an active member of the Board of Directors until the merger with the University in 1948.
The faculty, at a meeting held March 20, 1952, was apprised of the action of the Women's Auxiliary of the American Pharmaceutical Association in recognizing the professional achievements of a senior woman student in each pharmacy school by presentation of a certificate and one year's dues to the American Pharmaceutical Association. In view of her accomplishments, Miss Agnes Jo Tock, (1952), was selected as the awardee.
The Women of Galen Scholarship Award, in the amount of $r50, was established by the Women of Galen in 1952. The purpose of this worthy project is to assist deserving students of the junior or senior year. This is an annual award.
For the past several years the McKesson & Robbins Co., Inc., has been a genial host at a luncheon given to the students of the graduating class. Following the luncheon the students are given the opportunity to observe the operations of a wholesale drug house.
On September 7, 1952 an article written by Betty Jo Daniels, a special press writer, appeared in the Family Magazine Section of the Pittsburgh Press under the caption, 'Twentieth Century Pill Rollers. This was the very first article to appear in connection with the Diamond Jubilee program of the School of Pharmacy. Miss Daniels did an excellent job of presenting the present day curriculum which the student pursues in the University of Pittsburgh School of Pharmacy.
The next article to appear was one written by Dean Edward C. Reif, entitled "Events Which Led to the Founding of The Pittsburgh College of Pharmacy." Dean Reif gave a short resume of the very early days of pharmacy in western Pennsylvania. This article was published in PITT in the winter of 1952-1953 issue.
The events which were held during the Diamond Jubilee Year of 1953 were well planned. Dr. George D. Beal who was general chairman called his committees together in 1952.
The first event held October 28, 1952 was in the nature of an "Open House" devised primarily for the parents of the student body. Many parents, among whom were many alumni, attended this affair at which time the new apparatus which had been recently installed to aid in teaching (a vu-graph) was demonstrated. Refreshments followed a short program and an opportunity was afforded the parents to meet not only all members of the faculty but to discuss with them any problems in which they were interested.
November 17, 1952, the first of a series of seminar workshops was held. All pharmacists of the tri-state area were invited. The program began with a consideration of the newer type of ointment bases. Dr. Joseph P. Buckley, Assistant Professor of Pharmacology, opened the discussion seminar with a pharmacological consideration involved in the newer water absorbing, water washable, and water soluble ointment bases. Dr. Joseph A. Bianculli, Associate Professor of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, discussed the chemistry of the newer bases and Dr. Robert W. Sager, Associate Professor of Pharmacy spoke on the pharmaceutical aspect of these bases.
Messrs. William L. Blockstein, James C. Newcomb, and Paul J. Wurdack in the meantime gave classroom demonstrations on the extemporaneous preparation of some of the newer ointments incorporating the use of such products as the carbowaxes and the tweens. One striking feature of the program was the opportunity, provided to those in attendance, to enter a laboratory and actually prepare ointments using the products under consideration.
The problems presented were a consideration of the water absorbing properties for three commercial bases, two official bases, and one extemporaneous product made with the carbowaxes and tweens; second, the water washing properties; and, third, the ability of these bases to take up troublesome ingredients used in dermatological practice.
The workshop portion was conducted on a highly individual and an extremely informal level, and provided adequate time and discussion for every member participating in the workshop.
Registration was purposely held to twenty-five as a larger group would not have been compatible with this type of program. There was sufficient interest in this workshop that it was re-scheduled for January 14 and this period was also well attended. The pharmacists who came were pleased with the opportunity afforded them.
Not only was an opportunity accorded the alumni but the Pharmacy School also had in mind its future students.
It was, therefore, decided to have a display at Buhl Planetarium and Institute of Popular Science to be known as "Pharmacy Career Week" at which a description of the education, opportunities and responsibilities of the modern pharmacist were presented for high school students. This program was sponsored by the Pharmacy Alumni Association in collaboration with the University of Pittsburgh School of Pharmacy and leading drug manufacturers.
In accordance with the policy of the Planetarium 2100 schools in this area were notified of the pharmacy exhibit.
This project was also brought to the attention of the public by radio, newspaper and television. A radio program on Tuesday, March 3, featured Dr. Stephen Wilson, vice-dean, and several students; and another on Tuesday, March 10, featured Dean Edward C. Reif, Elder Stein, president of the Pharmacy Unit of the Alumni Association, and Raymond Dessy, then a senior student in the School of Pharmacy. A television program on Wednesday, March 10, "Pitt Parade," featured both faculty and students.
The exhibit included demonstrations by the students, exhibits from leading pharmaceutical manufacturers, and a showing at regular intervals of the school's color slide sound recording, "Pharmacy at Pitt".
The School of Pharmacy not only had an exhibit at the Planetarium but on March 4, 1953 participated in the University's pro-gram for career interests of high school students. Students attended from all parts of the county and Mr. William Blockstein acquainted those in attendance and interested in pharmacy with the many phases of student life in the University of Pittsburgh School of Pharmacy.
The Pennsylvania Pharmacist, March 1953, vol. XXXIV, no. 8, aided in our plans by publishing an article on the school with some pictures of students, Ruth Rapalis, Terry Lemmon, Gabriella Roba, and Margaret Sherwood operating old style pharmaceutical balances, mortor and pestle and an old fashioned copper extracting apparatus. Dr. Stephen Wilson assisted with all of these operations even though such apparatus is passe. On the cover of this same issue was the picture of Dean Edward C. Reif posing beside the portrait of the first dean, Dr. Julius A. Koch.
Three other events were held in the spring of 1953. On March 25 an Alumni Seminar was held in Stephen Foster Memorial. The program was 'Meeting Supermarket Competition" by Lyle J. Purcell, Director of the Marketing and Research Departments of Batten, Barton, Durstein and Osborn; "Current Trends in Pharmacy" by David B. Styles, Director of Market Development, Abbott Laboratories; and "Public and Professional Relations" by John Troan, Medical Editor of the Pittsburgh Press.
Each speaker was outstanding in his field and the many who attended were apprised of the many happenings in modern pharmacy. A social event and lunch was held after the formal presentation of the program.
Another feature of the Jubilee was an Alumni Open House which was held Wednesday and Thursday evenings, April 15 and 16. A new sound movie entitled "Old Doc" was shown. The late Dr. John H. Wurdack portrayed the role of "Old Doc." The script was written by Dr. Robert W. Sager and Dr. Joseph A. Bianculli directed it. Mr. Paul Wurdack took the pictures and Mrs. James Newcomb did the art work. Another part of the program was in charge of the Department of Pharmacy Administration. Scaled models of drug store equipment were displayed for the purpose of showing store layout. Student teams put on demonstrations and attempted to solve individual problems of layout. In another room a sound film strip on departmentalization was shown. Laboratories, the library and offices were open for inspection. A social hour was the climax of this worthwhile event. Mr. Elder H. Stein was the chairman in charge of the Alumni affairs.
On May 18, the Alumni held a Seminar in Stephen Foster Memorial with Elder H. Stein (1931) presiding. There were two outstanding speakers, Dr. James D. Gallagher, Associate Director, Clinical Research, Lederle Laboratories and Dr. E. J. Carroll, Director of Economic Research, Sharp and Dohme. Dr. Gallagher spoke on "Supporting the Professional Triangle" and Dr. Carroll on "This Business of Pharmacy." Both addresses were highly educational and were well received by all present. Refreshments were served by the Alumnae.
The climax to the year's activities was an all-pharmacy banquet at the Alumni Dinner of the School which was held at the Hotel Schenley on Tuesday evening, June 9, 1953. The two speakers of the evening, as well as the toastmaster, presiding officer, ministers pronouncing the invocation and benediction, were all graduates of the School of Pharmacy. (see Appendix V, Document Q)
Three hundred alumni, graduating seniors, and friends of the School of Pharmacy gathered to mark this milestone in a history already marked by many contributions to pharmaceutical education,
Under the chairmanship of Dr. Edward P. Claus (1929), the dinner proved to be a gala affair.
Following the main addresses of the evening President William J. Kinnard, of the graduating class, presented the class gift to the School of Pharmacy. A gift has been an annual feature of these dinners, but this year it took a surprising twist. The members of the class of 1953 decided to honor those two faculty members who had contributed the most to their undergraduate education. The honor, a portrait in oils, is to be the start of a "Hall of Fame" at the School of Pharmacy. The men chosen for the first year's presentation were Dean Edward C. Reif, (1906), and the late Dr. John H. Wurdack, (1909).
While most of these affairs were participated in by the Alumni, the students too were busy with projects of their own.
In the spring of 1953 Alpha Omicron Chapter of the Rho Chi Society of the University of Pittsburgh School of Pharmacy installed a display commemorating 75 years of service to pharmaceutical education in the Farmers Bank Building in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
This display was conceived in its entirety by the student members of the chapter, but was built and installed with student, faculty and alumni cooperation.
Rho Chi's display contrasted the pharmacy of 75 years ago with pharmacy as it is practiced today. The exhibit featured antique drug jars from the collection of Louis W. Yagle (1925), prominent Pittsburgh pharmacist and an alumnus of the school. Shown with Mr. Yagle's drug jars were the newest in balances and weights; dosage forms; and special containers.
Contrasting the old and the new in microscopy was an early microscope of 1847 and the newest model. The exhibit aroused much favorable comment from the public.
The students also held a Recognition Day to honor those men and women showing outstanding characteristics in scholastic and extra-curricular activities. Allen Hoffman, president of the Student Branch of the American Pharmaceutical Association, presided and also reported on his activities at a recent meeting of Districts I and 2 Conferences. Such conferences are designed to give the students of pharmacy located within these areas a chance to meet and discuss problems of vital interest to the undergraduate pharmacist, and to propose various resolutions to be presented to the parent organization, the American Pharmaceutical Association.
The Alpha Zeta Omega Award, granted yearly to that Sophomore student having attained the highest scholastic achievement in all courses covered in the freshman and sophomore years, was presented to Donald Vrabec. Mr. Vrabec also received the Kappa Psi, Alvin J. Vavro Memorial Award granted to the student who exhibits leader-. ship and a devotion to the ideals of pharmacy.
Keys were also presented to the graduating members of the Pitt Capsule staff, who had shown outstanding interest in their Branch publication. They were Raymond Dessy and Bill Kariheim, Co-Editors; Ray Jackson, business manager; Margaret Sherwood, circulation manager; and Joseph Warren, William Heskett, Edward Garber, Sarah Lemmon, Paul Gianetto and William Moore, feature writers.
Honor was given to those men who had been recognized by campus organizations during the past year: Robert McGuire for his selection as Junior Worthy; Edward Poole for his election to Druids; and Raymond Dessy for his place in the Hall of Fame. There were also three newly tapped members of Pi Delta Epsilon, honorary journalism fraternity, namely Bill Karlheim, Ray Jackson, and Raymond Dessy.
This story would not be complete if we did not mention that Raymond Dessy who graduated June 10, 1953 ranked first in his class and had an A in every subject he had taken during his four years at the School of Pharmacy. It goes without saying he was granted the James H. Beal Scholarship award for attaining the highest general average in all branches. He also won the Bristol Award for high scholastic standing and extracurricular activities; the Canter Prize of $25.00 for the senior attaining the highest standing in pharmacy; and the Lehn and Fink Medal award for attaining the highest standing in professional subjects and in recognition of special work toward the betterment of the profession.
Mr. Dessy was the first student in pharmacy (1953) to receive the Emma W. Locke Memorial Award.
In June 1957 Robert P. Halliday was also chosen to receive the Locke award.
At the commencement exercises held in August 1953, William L. Blockstein, B.S. (1950) received his M.5. degree with a major in Public Relations as it pertains to pharmacy.
For the first time in the history of the University of Pittsburgh School of Pharmacy eleven students graduated especially trained in the science of medical service representation. This course was conducted by the Department of Pharmacy Administration, with the cooperation of several pharmaceutical manufacturers and wholesalers. Under the late Mr. George B. Hook, Instructor in Pharmacy Administration, these students met for their course three (3) hours a week for a semester; and as part of their training program presented demonstrations in equipment and layout during the annual Open House celebration of the School of Pharmacy.
Other highlights in the course were lectures presented by the district managers of Parke, Davis and Co.; Eli Lilly and Company; Sharp and Dohme, Inc.; Merck and Co., Inc.; McKesson and Robbins, Inc.; and Johnson and Johnson. Audio-visual aids used by the department were supplemented with other aids by Ames Chemical; Johnson and Johnson; E. R. Squibb and Co.; and McKesson and Robbins, Inc.
Aside from the Jubilee activities both students and faculty were very busy in many other ways.
The members of the senior class made a trip to Parke, Davis and Co. on April 24, 1953. They were accompanied by the late Dr. John H. Wurdack, head of the Department of Chemistry, Mrs. J. H. Wurdack and Miss Dorothy Nuttall, librarian.
The students, faculty and guests under personal supervision of members of the staff and qualified guides were able to observe the manufacture, standardization and methods of world-wide distribution of pharmaceutical products on a large scale. They also were given the opportunity to observe the many angles of research involved in the investigation of medicinal products from the time of the preliminary survey until these products are ready for use by physicians in the treatment and prevention of disease.
A similar trip was made to Eli Lilly and Co., Indianapolis, Indiana November 2, 3, 1953. Dr. Stephen Wilson, Vice-Dean, and Miss Grace E. Gibson, Registrar, accompanied the members of this class.
Dean Reif as president-elect of the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy attended District No. 6 meeting in St. Louis, Missouri, and District No. 5 meeting in Lincoln, Nebraska. Dean Reif was installed as president of the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy at the annual meeting held in Salt Lake City, Utah in August 1953. (see Appendix V, Document R)
Dr. Edward P. Claus, Professor and head of the Department of Pharmacognosy, and Dr. Joseph P. Buckley, Assistant Professor of Pharmacology, participated in a panel discussion "The Biological Sciences in the Pharmacy Curriculum" at the 24th annual joint meeting of District No. 2 of the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy and the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy held in Albany, New York on March 1-3, 1953.
Dr. Claus was also very active as a member of the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy committee on 1953 Teacher's Seminar on Pharmacognosy and Related Subjects. He attended a meeting of this committee in March and the seminar was held in conjunction with the Plant Science Seminar from August 10 to 14, 1953 at Salt Lake City, Utah.
Dean Reif and Dr. Claus were the guests of Jane Ellen Ball on Radio Station WJAS on June 5, 1953 at which time they discussed the medicinal plant garden of the University of Pittsburgh School of Pharmacy.
On June 1, 1953, Dean Reif appeared on television on WDTV. He discussed the formula and ingredients for the holy oil that formerly was used in the coronation ceremonies of the crowned heads of England.
The late Dr. John H. Wurdack discussed the subject of "Pharmaceutical Chemistry" on WCAE on October 17, 1953. This program was sponsored by the Pittsburgh Section of the American Chemical Society. Dr. G. W. Gerhardt of Mellon Institute was the interrogator.
"Old Doc" the sound movie, was shown to many groups, including high schools and service groups among which were Rotary, Lions, Parent Teachers Association, etc. not only in the Pittsburgh area but in Erie, Johnstown, Altoona, Greensburg and other communities.
Not only were changes made in the curriculum but money was provided to make it possible for some to pursue the revised curriculum.
In 1953, the Eckerd Drug Stores established a yearly scholarship award for a deserving male student from the high schools in the Erie, Pennsylvania high school district who qualifies scholastically and by examination. The award consists of $500.00 yearly to the awardee or $2000.00 for the four year course. This awardee must at all times remain in good scholastic standing. The money is applied to tuition, fees, and laboratory expense.
Another Diamond Jubilee contribution was made in the form of a new scholarship, the Oliver F. Wolf Memorial Scholarships. The McKennan Pharmacy of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, in memory of Oliver F. Wolf (one of the early corporate members), established two scholarships annually in the amount of $125 each. The scholarships are awarded to two deserving students, members of the junior and/or senior class as a payment toward tuition.
Also in 1953 Mr. and Mrs. Barney B. Perifano established a $100.00 scholarship in their name to be awarded yearly to a student in the School of Pharmacy. This award is based on financial need and ability.
The Ladies Auxiliary of the Alpha Zeta Omega Pharmaceutical Fraternity also established an award of $25.00 for a deserving sophomore student.
Not to be outdone by the ladies, one of the men's fraternities, The Phi Delta Chi, Mu Chapter, presented to the school a complete, framed set of pictures depicting the history of pharmacy. The school is fortunate to have a group like the Phi Delta Chi Professional Pharmaceutical Fraternity to thank for this beautiful set of pictures.
While these things were taking place one of the staff members, Mr. Joseph D. McEvilla, participated in a six weeks seminar in Drug Store Management given by the Walgreen Company. The group attending the Seminar studied everything from selecting store locations to training sales personnel. Over forty-five (45) separate subjects were covered in this intensive study and discussions with the firm's department heads. Mr. McEvilla attended this Seminar so that he in turn could relay the benefits he derived from the seminar to the pharmacy students.
All drug stores in western Pennsylvania where an alumnus of the school was located displayed a poster which in turn enlightened those who read it regarding the University of Pittsburgh School of Pharmacy. For example, it indicated "that seventy-five years of service had been rendered the community by this institution through its graduates." It also stated "that the school expected to continue to provide pharmacy and the public with the finest in pharmaceutical education and service."
In perfect timing with the Jubilee, on September 18, 1953 the news came - Dr. Robert A. Moore, nationally known medical educator and administrator, was named Vice-Chancellor in charge of the Schools of the Health Professions at the University of Pittsburgh. "In his new position Dr. Moore is to coordinate teaching, research, and patient care in the hospitals, clinics and professional schools of medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, nursing and public health."
"Specific duties of the Vice-Chancellor in Charge of the Schools of the Health Professions, as outlined in the announcement by Dr. Fitzgerald, include responsibility for development of adequate facilities; selection of distinguished faculties for the five professional schools; development of strong education and research programs; extension of post-graduate medical education throughout the Pittsburgh district; integration of the five professional schools with one another and with other important divisions of the University and with the work of associated hospitals and clinics; and assistance in obtaining funds to carry forward the program of education and research."
On October 2, 1953, the mayor of the city, David L. Lawrence, proclaimed the period from October 4 through October 10, 1953 to be National Pharmacy Week and urged all citizens to join with their pharmacists in working for better community health. A proclamation on this date was signed in the presence of Dr. Hugh C. Muldoon, dean of the Duquesne University School of Pharmacy and Dr. Edward C. Reif, dean of the University of Pittsburgh School of Pharmacy.
The students of the School of Pharmacy participated in Pharmacy Week by setting up an exhibit in the Cathedral of Learning for the week. The exhibit was entitled 'The Pharmacist Works for Better Community Health." The display consisted of three sections. The first depicted the compounding of prescriptions and the work of the neighborhood druggist. Hospital pharmacy was featured by an exhibit on anesthetics and narcotics while the third section was devoted to pharmaceutical research.
On Friday, October 9, 1953 at the Third Annual Scientific Day of the Medical School Alumni at Mellon Institute, the School of Pharmacy participated as an exhibitor.
Dr. Edward C. Reif said,
The Diamond Jubilee Celebration gives us the occasion to review in retrospect, with honest and unquestioning pride, the memorable experiences of the past; to appraise the integration and correlation of arts and sciences in the pharmaceutical curriculum as now constituted; and to meet with energetic enthusiasm the demands of an ever changing pattern in the domain of pharmaceutical education.
1954 brought with it the announcement that three chapters of Alpha Zeta Omega, National Pharmaceutical Fraternity, the Mu Chapter at school, the Pittsburgh Alumni Chapter, and the Women's Auxiliary Group, had raised funds to complete and bind many rare and valuable periodicals for the School of Pharmacy, one of which was the "Western Pennsylvania Retail Druggist."
This same group honored Dean Reif for his years of service to pharmacy as a pharmacist, educator, and administrator. Dr. Herbert G. Longenecker, dean of the Graduate School, was the speaker. On this occasion Dean Reif was the recipient of a very fine candid camera. The event was held in Webster Hall.
Early in 1954 the American Pharmaceutical Association held a Inter-professional Conference at Washington, D. C. Dean Reif attended this conference on February 4. It was pointed out "that understandings are based upon knowledge of the respective functions and problems of those who must work together in the field of medical care. The first steps were taken to better inter-professional relations and further conferences are to be held to carry this work forward.
In March 1954 Dean Reif and Professor Robert W. Sager attended the District No. 2 meeting of the State Boards and Colleges of Pharmacy held at Pocono Manor, Pennsylvania. As a direct result of the showing of the film "Old Doc" and "Pharmacy at Pitt" a resolution was passed that such a project be undertaken nationally. Subsequently, under the auspices of the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy two films were produced. This was made possible by a substantial grant from the American Foundation on Pharmaceutical Education.
As president of the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy Dean Reif attended the meeting of District No. 4 at the University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky. (see Appendix V, Document S)
On April 12, 1954 a dinner was held in honor of Vice-Chancellor and Mrs. Robert A. Moore at Hotel Webster Hall. Every effort was made to see that Dr. and Mrs. Moore met the many pharmacists of the tri state area. The guests included the members of the Corporation of The Pittsburgh College of Pharmacy, officers and representatives of Fraternities and County and State groups.
In fact every segment of pharmacy was represented, including representatives of manufacturers, wholesalers, etc. Dr. Moore spoke at length on the future of the School of Pharmacy in the new building to house the Schools of the Health Professions. (see Appendix V, Document T)
At the annual Alumni Reunion and dinner the class of 1954 presented a check for $250.00 to be used to purchase books for research and work at the graduate level.
Another peak of progress was reached with the Ground Breaking Ceremony for the new building for the Schools of the Health Professions on Monday, June 28, 1954. A luncheon preceded the ground breaking in the dining room of the Residence for Nurses on Lothrop Street. Mrs. Alan M. Scaife, wife of the president of the University of Pittsburgh Board of Trustees, turned the first spade of earth. The new structure for the Schools of the Health Professions is located on a site fronting on Terrace Street, immediately north of Presbyterian Hospital to which it is connected and extends from Lothrop to DeSota Street.
Mrs. Scaife was presented a special shield shaped pin as a memento of the ground breaking and her activities in behalf of education and health. The pin, represents the lower half of the shovel. The academic colors of the four schools appear on the shield in enamel, separated by fluted golden columns. The colors are pale green for Medicine; a violet shade for Dentistry; olive green for Pharmacy; and apricot for Nursing. The colors are fused at the base, indicating the integration of the four schools. A tiny triangle at the top symbolizes the Golden Triangle of Pittsburgh.
The whole ceremony gave a new meaning to the Louis Pasteur quotation which appeared on the printed program:
"Take interest, I implore you, in those sacred dwellings which are designed by the expressive term, laboratories. Demand that they be multiplied and advanced. These are the temples of the future, temples of well-being and happiness-where humanity grows greater, stronger, better."
On October I8, 1954 Dean Reif addressed the science sectional meeting of the Northwestern Pennsylvania State Educational Association at Strong Vincent auditorium in Erie, Pennsylvania. His talk dealt with the academic preparation for the health professions with emphasis on careers in pharmacy, medicine, dentistry, nursing and public health. Dean Reif illustrated his talk with slides which showed how the education of a pharmacist is accomplished at Pitt. Mr. J. Milton Hill, of the Eckerds Drug Stores, Inc., made arrangements for Dean Reif's talk.
October 25, 1954 was a memorable event for the faculty. It was the first time Dr. Moore presided as chairman of the faculty at a dinner meeting held at the Faculty Club.
At this meeting Drs. Claus, Bianculli, Wurdack, Mr. Blockstein and Dean Reif reported on the Teachers Seminar which was held at Storrs, Connecticut in August 1954.
In the fall of 1954 the School of Pharmacy again participated in the Annual Scientific Day of the Alumni of the School of Medicine. The exhibit portrayed the "Chemotherapeutic Aspects of Cancer."
At the annual meeting of the Pennsylvania Pharmaceutical Association held at Bedford Springs in June 1954, Drs. Claus and Bianculli participated in a panel discussion on "Scabicides and Insecticides." This was part of the scientific program of the convention.
The Allegheny County Pharmaceutical Association brought honor to the School of Pharmacy because they honored its dean. November 17, 1954 the Association not only tendered a dinner in Dean Reif's honor but presented him with a plaque:
To Edward C. Reif
Dean of the School of Pharmacy of University of Pittsburgh
This plaque is presented by the Allegheny County Pharmaceutical Association in Recognition of his Outstanding Contributions to the Advancement of Pharmacy
November 17, 1954
This most unusual year ended on an extremely sad note, for one of the oldest and beloved teachers on our staff was called by the Divine Maker to the world beyond. Dr. John H. Wurdack died December 8, 1954 and is missed by students and faculty alike. Dr. Wurdack upon graduation was appointed an instructor in the School of Medicine and the following year began his long association with the School of Pharmacy. From 1911 until his death Dr. Wurdack taught chemistry in the School of Pharmacy.
This history reveals that the Pittsburgh College of Pharmacy, now the University of Pittsburgh School of Pharmacy, was conceived in faith, nurtured by self-sacrifice, and brought to maturity through a devotion to the finest ideals of higher education. It stands today as a monument to the love, liberality, and a far seeing faith of those who planned and worked for its founding, growth and development.
We are not unmindful of those individuals who are still striving for her betterment so that the School of Pharmacy can carry on more effectively. (see Appendix VI)
School of Pharmacy
University of Pittsburgh
Annual Alumni Dinner and Diamond Jubilee Celebration
Tuesday Evening, June Ninth
Nineteen Hundred and Fifty-Three
Six-thirty o'clock, Eastern Daylight Savings Time
October 28 - Open House for Parents, School of Pharmacy
November 17 - Workshop on Ointment Bases, School of Pharmacy
January 14 - Workshop on Ointment Bases, School of Pharmacy
March 1-13 - Pharmacy Career Display and Demonstration, Buhl Planetarium
March 23 - Alumni Seminar, Stephen Foster Memorial
April 15 and 16 - Alumni Open House, School of Pharmacy
May 15 - Alumni Seminar, Stephen Foster Memorial
June 9 - Fifty-Year Club Luncheon, Schenley Hotel
June 9 - Annual Alumni Dinner and Diamond Jubilee Celebration, Schenley Hotel
June 10 - Commencement, Cathedral of Learning Lawn
June 10 - Silver Anniversary Reunion Dinner - Class of 1928, Schenley Hotel
Fresh Fruit Cocktail
Roast Stuffed Turkey
Parisienne Potatoes Browned
Succotash in Butter
Frozen Dutch Pudding
Father Edmund Wiethorn, Pharmacy '21
Dr. George D. Beal, Pharmacy '06
Director of Research, Mellon Institute
General Chairman, Diamond Jubilee
Mr. Edward C. Nied, Pharmacy '17
Past President, General Alumni Association
Mr. Elder H. Stein, Pharmacy '31
President, Pharmacy Alumni Association
Introduction Of Guests
Mr. Edward C. Nied
Address: Education. Pharmacy's Diamond
Dr. Melvin W. Green, Pharmacy '31
Director of Educational Relations
American Council on Pharmaceutical Education
Address: Half way from Home
Mr. John A. MacCartney, Pharmacy '28
Manager of Trade Relations Department
Parke, Daveis and Company
Mr. William J. Kinnard, Pharmacy '33
President, Senior Class
Presentation of Awards
Dr. Edward C. Reif, Pharmacy '06
Dean, School of Pharmacy
The Reverend Robert B. Withers, Pharmacy '16
Report of Nominating Committee and Election of Officers
Annual Roll Call of Past Graduating Classes
Dancing: For Alumni and Guests
|Officers of Pharmacy Alumni Association|
|Elder H. Stein '31||President|
|Joseph A. Beyer '49||First Vice-President|
|James Dickson '24||Second Vice-President|
|Edward P. Claus '29||Secretary|
|John H. Wurdack '09||Treasurer|
|Alumni Council Officers|
|Elder H. Stein '31||Edward C. Ifft '26|
|Stephen Wilson '25, Member at Large||John H. Phillips '00|
|Edward C. Nied '17 - Past President, General Alumni Association|
Edward P. Claus '29, General Chairman
|A. Orville Grimm '29, Chairman|
|Ernest K. Hoge, Scio '91||Abraham Litman '18||Paul C. Robinson, Jr. '43|
|Frederick J.Blumenachein '02||Earl E. Speicher '23||David A. Westover '48|
|Jesse F. Ullom '03||Robert W. Taylor '28||Lois L. LeGoullon '51|
|David B. Young '08||James C. Walton '33||A. Josephine Tock '52|
|George L. McMillin '13||Thomas R. Kim '38||William Kinnard '33|
|Edward P. Claus '29, Chairman|
|Aida Baver '52||Autumn E. Colby '44||Charles C. Nealis '32|
|Merwin C. Bees '32||Freeman P. Deist '43||David Perelman '41|
|1. A. Bianculli '39||Maurice H. Finkelpearl '19||Thomas W. Storer '26|
|Harry J. Bonchosky '40||William D. Grady '30||Shirley D. Sussman '51|
|John R. Burrows '28||Dorothy Sarandria Kelly '49||John M. Wyble '14|
|Edward C. Ifft '26, Chairman|
|John H. Phillips '00||Michael M. Donohue '23|
|William F. Heidenreich '21||James L. Strader '26|
|Joseph D. McEvilla '49, Chairman|
|William L. Blockstein '50||Francis Pray, ex- officio|
|Robert R. Gaw '14||Public Relations Counselor|
|William F. Heidenreich '21||Edward C. Reif '06|
|Dorothy Nuttall, Secretary||Stephen Wilson '25|
|John H. Wurdack '09|
Chairman: George D. Beal '06
Honorary Chairman: Julius A. Koch '84
Honorary Chairman: C. Leonard O'Connell '12
Vice-Chairman: Stephen Wilson '25
|Thomas L. Algeo '18||Joseph D. McEvilla '49||Gizella Bodnar Segin '29|
|Edward P. Claus '29||Edward C. Nied '17||Elder H. Stein '31|
|RobertR. Gaw '14||Harry Ostrow '29||Louis Weiner '20|
|William F. Heidenreich '21||Edward C. Reif '06||Stephen WilsOn '25|
|Max Helfand '38||Chauncey E. Rickard'24||John H. Wurdack '09|
|Allen M Hoffman '53||Fred Schiller '02||Francis Pray, ex.oficio|
|Faculty Activities Committee|
|John H. Wurdack '09, Chairman|
|Joseph A. Bianculli '35||Rose Goldfield '49||Edward C. Reif '06|
|William L. Blockstein'50||George B. Hook '49||Ethel C. Richards, Univ. of Colo. '51|
|Joseph P. Buckley, Univ. of Conn. '49||Edward 5. Hudak '49||Robert W. Sager, Univ. of Wash. '44|
|Jeanne S. Cappelli '48||Richard H. Mattern '28||Clarence K. Williamson, Univ. of Pgh '49|
|Edward P. Claus '29||Joseph D. McEvilla '49||Stephen Wilson '25|
|August G. Danti '50||James C. Newcomb '50||Paul 3. Wurdack '49|
|William F. Heidenreich '21, Chairman||Louis Weiner '20, Vice-Chairman|
|Thomas L. Algco '18||Reuben Helfant '23||Fred Schiller '02|
|Samuel I. Caplan '25||Philip Hoffman '18||James C. Sims '08|
|Robert R. Gaw '14||John W. Kaszer '18||Robert W. Taylor '28|
|IHyland L. Gefsky '24||Lester R. Martin '19||George 0. Yohe '14|
|Homer M. Halboth '26||John S. McAleer '36||David B. Young '08|
|William L. Pullen '24|
|Chauncey Rickard '24, Chairman|
|William L. Blockstein '50||Ronald Peters '53|
|Dennis W. Karlheim '53||Francis Pray, ex-officio|
|Marion Mallinger '54||William H. Whitman '25|
|Dorothy Nuttall, Secretary||Mrs. Jane Shaw, ex-officio, University News Service|
|Harry Ostrow '29, Chairman, Alpha Zeta Omega|
|Jeanne S. Cappelli '48, Lambda Kappa Sigma Graduate||Ray L. Jackson '53, Kappa Psi|
|Raymond F. Dessy '53, Phi Delta Chi||Abraham Litman '18, Galen Pharmaceutical Society|
|Elmer Grimm '19, Phi Delta Chi Graduate||Joseph F. Palchak '24, Kappa Psi Graduate|
|Margaret F Sherwood '53, Lambda Kappa Sigma|
|Hospital Pharmacists' Committee|
|Max Helfand '38, Chairman|
|Josephine S. Certo '44||Dorothy V. Monyak '44|
|Richard H. Mattern '28||Robert Zipf '51|
|Student Activities Committee|
|Allen M. Hoffman '53, Chairman|
|Robert M. Averbach '56||William J, Kinnard '53|
|Charles A. Evans '56||Robert F. McGuire '54|
|Edward D. Gilmore '54||Edward Poole '35|
|C. Jean Grimm '55||Robert L. Williams '33|
|Gizella Bodnar Segin '29,||ChairmanHelen E. Nied '20||Theresa Wajert Wurdack '49|
|Palestine Pope Zellars' 47||Clara C. Turano '44|
|Louise Tischler Stein '43|
|Elder H. Stein '31, Chairman|
|Julius A. Koch '84||John C. Wajert '10||Oscar I. Roth '3|
|George W. Kutscher '90||Gustave Hirsh '11||Charles E. Blackburn '31|
|Ernest K. Hoge, Scio '91||Herman J. Brandl '12||Charles C. Nealis '32|
|Ed ward H. McKee '94||George L. McMillin '13||James C. Walton '33|
|Louis Saalbach '95||John M. Wyble '14||Thomas Schratz '33|
|Randal W. Henderson '96||Elmer B. Deiss '15||Louis J. Lendl '35|
|George 0. Young, Scio '96||Julian F. Nickum '16||Norman J. Ilkuvitz '36|
|Charles C. Campbell '97||William J. Datz '17||Victor H. Shepherd '37|
|John H. Phillips '00||Abraham Litman '18||Thomas R. Kim '38|
|Edward F. Waldschmidt '01||Maurice H. Finkelpearl '19||Rudolph L. Yanda '39|
|Frederick J. Blumenachein '02||Louis Weiner '20||Frank P. Rice '40|
|Jesse F. Ullom '03||William F. Heidenreich '21||David Perelman '41|
|Eugene M. Camp '04||Frederick H. Woods '22||Nicholas A. Toronto '42|
|D. Wilson Sole, Scio '04||Earl F. Speicher '23||Paul C. Robinson, Jr., Feb. '43|
|C. Roy Hetzel '05||James Dickson '24||Leo Karolewski, Sept. '43|
|Francis M. Dent '05||Eugene A. Gardill '25||Virgil Bianculli, May '44|
|Owen R. Morgan '06||Edward C. lIft '26||Fern Alice Heidt Kelly, May '45|
|Charles E. Dusenberry '07||Thomas H. Baynham '27||Richard S. Canter, Jan. '47|
|Ralph C. Benedum, Scio '07||Robert W. Taylor '28||David A. Westover, Jan. '48|
|David B. Young '08||John R. Burrows '28||William L. Blockstein '50|
|John S. Rutledge, Scio '08||Allen 0. Grimm '29||Lois L. LeGoullon '51|
|Isidore Spann '09||William D. Grady '30||Wilber D. Lyle '52|